Rules as shown in the High School Rule book are in effect except as listed in the following rules. The Rules can only be changed with approval of the MBSA Board of Directors. Manager/Coaches cannot change the rules under any circumstance.
Only managers and coaches approved by the MBSA may supervise the players in games and practices. While parents may assist, there must be an approved manager or coach in-charge.
All Managers and Coaches MUST wear their Manalapan Township volunteer badge and abide by the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Volunteer Code of Conduct” and have read and agree to the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Background Check Policy”. Managers are responsible for the acts of their coaches and parents.
Games and practice dates/times can only be scheduled or rescheduled by the league Commissioners. All incidents should be reported immediately.
If the Managers cannot resolve an issue during a game, they must contact the commissioner or umpire in chief immediately.
1. Any manager, coach or player ejected from a game must sit the next game a second ejection will result in a three game suspension and an MBSA board hearing.
2. There are no protests. All rulings on the field are final.
3. All players must adhere to and wear designated MBSA uniform attire or they cannot take the field.
a. Players must wear an athletic supporter/cup and plastic cleats; metal cleats are prohibited. Heart guards and safety glasses are recommended. It’s the parent’s sole responsibility to ensure their child is wearing all recommended safety gear.
b. No jewelry can be worn.
c. Catchers must wear all equipment, no skullcaps are allowed.
4. Each game will be 7 innings OR a 2 hour time limit. You cannot start a new inning after 1 hour and 45 minutes has elapsed. However you may complete an inning if it has already started and is now beyond the time limit.
d. Run Rule: 12 runs ahead after 4 innings if the home team is winning and 5 complete innings if the visiting team is winning and 10 after 5.
e. Games can end in a tie
5. You can start a game with 8 players and must finish a game with 8 players. If you start a game with 8 players and 1 player leaves you forfeit the game.
6. All players must hit in the lineup with free substitutions in the field.
7. A player injured or leaving the game will not be recorded as an out in the lineup.
8. A player arriving after the game starts will be inserted at the bottom of the order.
9. Batters on the bench including on deck batters are NOT ALLOWED to take practice swings. The manager and coaches are required to make sure this doesn’t occur. Managers and/or coaches can be ejected for allowing practice swings to occur.
10. Full Baseball Rules apply. Leading and stealing are allowed.
11. Balks - should the pitcher commit an "illegal act" with a runner on base the pitcher will recieve a balk warning from the umpire. If a base runner had stolen a base during this act he does not relinquish the newly gained base. Should the base runner be called out as a result of the "illegal act" he will return to the base from which he came without an out being recorded. Should the pitcher commit an illegal act a second time with a runner(s) on base, all runners will advance one base. The ball is dead upon the call of a balk.
13 Pitcher’s mound is 50 feet and bases are 70 feet
14. A manager or coach is allowed 1 free trip to visit with his pitcher. Upon the 2nd trip in the same inning that pitcher will be removed. Injury Exception: The manager may ask the plate umpire for an injury visit. Should the umpire believe the pitcher to be injured and a visit warranted he may grant the manager an injury visit which will not count as an official visit.
15. Any player that warms up a pitcher either before an inning or in between innings must wear a protective mask.
16. There are no intentional walks
17. Speed-up rules (courtesy runners) will be agreed upon during ground rules. (Running for the catcher with 2 outs is the default) Should a courtesy runner be used in place of a catcher the removed runner must be the catcher for the upcoming, not preceding inning. The runner must be the last batted out.
- 13-14 Team Jerseys
- 13-14 Team Caps
- 3 Coach Caps
- 1 First Aid Kit
- 8 Ice Packs
- 1 Score Book
- 2 dozen practice balls
- 2 dozen game balls
- 1 Equipment bag
- 4 batting helmets
- 1 caged batting helmet
- 1 catcher’s helmet
- 1 right-handed catcher’s glove
- Left-handed catcher’s glove by request only
- 1 set of catcher’s equipment
- 1 set of throw-down bases