Rules as shown in the High School Rule book are in effect except as listed in the following rules. The Rules can only be changed with approval of the MBSA Board of Directors. Manager/Coaches cannot change the rules under any circumstance.
Intermediate Division Rules (see also Pitching Supplement)
1. Only managers and coaches approved by the MBSA may supervise the players in games and practices. While parents may assist, there must be an approved manager or coach in-charge.
2. All Managers and Coaches MUST wear their Manalapan Township volunteer badge and abide by the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Volunteer Code of Conduct” and have read and agree to the “Manalapan Parks and Recreation Background Check Policy”. Managers are responsible for the acts of their coaches and parents.
3. Games and practice dates/times can only be scheduled or rescheduled by the league Commissioners. All incidents should be reported immediately.
4. If the Managers cannot resolve an issue during a game, they must contact the commissioner or umpire in chief immediately.
5. Any manager, coach or player ejected from a game must sit the next game and a second ejection will result in a three game suspension and an MBSA board hearing.
6. There are no protests. All rulings on the field are final.
7. All players must adhere to and wear designated MBSA uniform attire or they cannot take the field.
a. Players must wear an athletic supporter/cup and plastic cleats; metal cleats are prohibited. Heart guards and safety glasses are recommended. It’s the parent’s sole responsibility to ensure their child is wearing all recommended safety gear.
b. No jewelry can be worn.
c. Catchers must wear all equipment, no skullcaps are allowed.
8. Each game will end at the first of 6 innings OR at the conclusion of any inning started before 1 hour and 45 minutes has elapsed.
9. Run Rules: A game ends if one team is 12 runs ahead after 4 innings if the home team is winning and 5 complete innings if the visiting team is winning and 10 after 5. There is also a 5 run limit per inning.
10. Games can end in a tie
11. You can start a game with 8 players and must finish a game with 8 players. If you start a game with 8 players and 1 player leaves you forfeit the game.
12. All players must hit in the lineup with free substitutions in the field.
13. A player injured or leaving the game will not be recorded as an out in the lineup.
14. A player arriving after the game starts will be inserted at the bottom of the order.
15. Only on deck batters wearing a helmet may take practice swings inside the field past the dugout. There are no swings outside of the field to avoid accidentally hitting siblings or other spectators. All other players must remain in the dugout. The manager and coaches are required to ensure this rule is followed for the safety of all.
16. Full Baseball Rules apply. Leading and stealing, including home, are allowed.
17. Balks - should the pitcher commit an "illegal act" with a runner on base the pitcher will receive a balk warning from the umpire. If a base runner had stolen a base during this act he does not relinquish the newly gained base. Should the base runner be called out as a result of the "illegal act" he will return to the base from which he came without an out being recorded. Should the pitcher commit an illegal act a second time with a runner(s) on base, all runners will advance one base. The ball is dead upon the call of a balk.
18. Pitcher’s mound is 50 feet and bases are 70 feet
19. A manager or coach is allowed 1 free trip to visit with his pitcher. Upon the 2nd trip in the same inning that pitcher will be removed. Injury Exception: The manager may ask the plate umpire for an injury visit. Should the umpire believe the pitcher to be injured and a visit warranted he may grant the manager an injury visit which will not count as an official visit. The catcher may visit the pitcher more than once.
20. Any player that warms up a pitcher either before an inning or in between innings must wear a protective mask.
21. There are no intentional walks
22. A courtesy runner for the catcher with 2 outs is optional, with the intent of allowing the catcher to suit up for the following inning without delaying play. Accordingly, courtesy runners are limited to catchers for the upcoming (not preceding) inning. The courtesyrunner MUST be the last batted out.
23. The infield fly rule applies. In particular, if there are fewer than 2 outs with a force at third, a pop up that can be caught as routine (as judged by the umpire) will be recorded as an out for the batter and the play will proceed as normal. Judgment of routine includes the potential to intentionally drop an easily caught ball and use the forces to get multiple outs on the play. The baserunners will tag up if the ball is caught or have the option to stay on base or advance if the ball is dropped, but the batter is out regardless.
24. Only bats with the USA Baseball or BBCOR stamps are acceptable.
- 13-14 Team Jerseys
- 13-14 Team Caps
- 3 Coach Caps
- 1 First Aid Kit
- 8 Ice Packs
- 1 Score Book
- 2 dozen practice balls
- 2 dozen game balls
- 1 Equipment bag
- 4 batting helmets
- 1 caged batting helmet
- 1 catcher’s helmet
- 1 right-handed catcher’s glove
- Left-handed catcher’s glove by request only
- 1 set of catcher’s equipment
- 1 set of throw-down bases